Deformulation analysis of a product, also known as “chemical reverse engineering” is the process of analytically breaking down a material or product’s formulation to separate and determine the specific identity and exact quantity of both its major and minor constituent components. When combined with product reformulation or formula re-engineering services our skilled chemists can even re-develop the manufacturing production process or “recipe” instructions detailing how to recreate the original product.
This service is often used to replicate existing products, gain detailed intelligence on competing products, product benchmarking, to discover discrepancies in your batch-to-batch products, and to solving complex product failures. Avomeen’s deformulation services can be used to analyze and re-engineer a wide variety of consumer, industrial, and specialty products including coatings, cleaners, polymers, pharmaceuticals, inks, cosmetics, supplements, sunscreens, household products, oils, and more.
What details will a deformulation analysis and reformulation project give me?
Deformulation services in a way are like analyzing and chemically breaking down a finished cake in order to discover how to recreate it. The initial deformulation process reveals the product’s raw ingredients and components such as eggs, salt, butter, sifted flour, etc. A complete deformulation even quantifies these identified components which shows the exact amount needed for each item.
Then a reformulation analysis identifies the process of how and when these ingredients are combined, what instruments and machinery are needed, and what conditions and technical methods are utilized. Essentially reformulation services discover the “recipe” of how to make a product. Once complete this service shows the exact ingredients list, quantities utilized, and the production process which combined can be used to recreate the original product that was analyzed. It is also common during the reformulation stage to make specific modifications to ensure that the new final product developed is a unique and innovative formulation, but one that is still based off of the original formula.
Common reasons to analyze a product’s formulation using deformulation services:
- Duplicate and recreate or improve upon an existing formulation. Obtain a product’s ingredients list, quantities of each ingredient, and its production process.
- Identify and quantify all of the ingredients in a competing formulation gaining invaluable information such as which active ingredients make the competing product perform better, allow it to be produced at a lower cost, or allow the formulation to meet its various specifications.
- Your product’s current manufacturer keeps raising their costs, the quality of the end products your being delivered is degrading over time, you’re stuck paying high fees due to having to import the product from overseas, or your current manufacturer is going out of business and you require the necessary information needed to develop the product yourself.
- You believe that a competitor is infringing on your product’s patent or intellectual property, or your company is being sued and needs to prove that your formulation is not in violation.
- In order to gain invaluable information for your marketing team on why your product performs better and/or safer than your competitor’s. This instills confidence and trust in your brand turning potential customers into buyers.
- ou need a failure analysis performed to identify unknown ingredients or contaminants in your product in order to quickly rectify your product’s defect and prevent a costly recall. Our laboratory can detect and identify various constituents within a product at very small levels in order to identify trace impurities.
- Identify any batch-to-batch irregularities or variations within your product through a Good-Vs-Bad sample analysis. This ensures that your customers are getting an effective and safe product regardless of which lot the product came from.
- Evaluate a new product or raw material supplier before you enter into a long term contract or complete industry/government regulatory testing stadards
- Discover unsafe, obsolete, or banned ingredients/substances within a formulation so appropriate functional replacements can be swapped in allowing you to develop and sell your product in various international markets. This technique can also be utilized to create eco-friendly versions of existing formulations by exchanging questionable materials in a formulation with natural counterparts.
- Confirmation of product identity during product development and for product benchmarking.
- We can swap out ingredients in your product with more environmentally friendly raw materials. We can also take products with hazardous concerns and reduce or eliminate the use of toxic ingredients.
Avomeen has successfully chemically reverse engineered and recreated hundreds of products and formulations. We use advanced extraction and analytical techniques to separate, identify, and quantify the ingredients/components within a wide range of both industrial & commercial products, as well as specialty goods. While many laboratories advertise services to identify a formulation’s major components, few can accurately deliver a complete deformulation analysis that identifies and quantifies the ingredients in a complex formulation. Even fewer can successfully re-combine the ingredients in order to deliver the formulation’s proper production process or “recipe”. Avomeen is FDA-Registered & Inspected, DEA-Licensed, cGMP-Compliant, GLP-Compliant, ISO 17025-Accredited, and Reach/RoHS Compliant.
Have a Question? Want a complimentary initial consultation with one of our Ph.D. Scientist? Want a Quote?
|Experience the Avomeen difference:
||Ingredients a product de-formulation analysis can identify and quantify:
Clients often times ask us to modify or improve upon a product’s formulation while recreating it. When reformulating or re-creating a product for you Avomeen’s chemists will send you trial batches (Iterations/Prototypes) during the development process for you to evaluate and critique on. Once your new formulation meets your exact specifications we can then perform a technology transfer allowing you to produce the product yourself in-house or bring it to the contract manufacturer of your choice. If you need a suitable contract blender or manufacturing expertise, our experienced teams of chemists maintain many contacts within the industry and can help you find a suitable home for your product.
Questions we often receive on our deformulation services:
- Full Identification & Quantitation of All Components
- Semi-Quantitative Identification of Major and Minor Ingredients (Chemical Class & Function)
- Identification of Major Components
- Quantification of Specific Components
- Full Deformulation & Reformulation (Duplication/Re-Engineering)
- Partial Deformation & Reformation (New Product Innovation Based on Existing Technology)
- Source Materials and Suggest Alternative Ingredients
- Q1 & Q2 Testing & Regulatory Submissions(Pharma)
- Pigments, Dyes, & Inks
- Pharmaceuticals & Drug Delivery Systems
- Nutraceuticals (Supplements, Vitamins, Multi-Vitamins)
- Medical Devices & Similar Products
- Paints & Coatings (Liquid, Powder, Inks, Toner, Architectural, Automotive, Stains, Finishes, Etc.)
- Sheets, Films, Multi-Layer Films, & Coatings on Films
- Polymers, Plastics, & Residual Monomer Levels & Molecular Weight (Plasticizers, Pellets, PET, PMMA, Degradable Products, PP, PU, SAN, Nylon, PE, Flexible & Rigid PVC)
- Copolymers, Blends/Mixtures & Multilayer Architectures
- Additives (PSA, Hot Melts, Water Borne)
- Adhesives & Sealants (Epoxy, Silicone, PU)
- Aerospace & Automotive
- Cleaners & Cleaning Solutions (Industrial & Commercial, Detergents, Surface Cleaning Agents, Pool Treatments)
- Soaps (Facial, Hand, Anti-Bacterial, Etc.)
- Rubber & Latexes (TPE, EPDM, Neoprene, Natural, SIS, EVA, PUR, NBR, Silicone, Etc.)
- Beverages (Soft Drinks, Energy Drinks, Vodka, & other Liquors)
- Composites, Fibers, & Textiles (Carob, Graphite, Kevlar Fibers, Garment, Upholstery, Etc.)
- Manufactured Goods, Process Solutions, & Fabricated Parts
- Lubricants (Commercial & Industrial)
- Solvent Mixtures & Surfactant-Based Products or Mixtures
- Home, Health, & Beauty Products
- Cosmetics (Shampoos, Conditioners, Creams, Gels, Ointments, Powders, & Feminine Products)
- Car Care Products (Waxes, Soaps, Creams, Sprays)
- Packaging Materials
- Decomposition products
- Automotive Parts (Metals, Polymers, Coatings, Cleaners, Etc.)
- Spa Treatments (Sun-Tanning & Bronzing Lotions)
- E-Liquid / E-Cigarette Formulations
- Wastewater & Water Treatment Chemicals
- Waste Streams
- Metals & Electrical Components
- Unknown Materials & Substances
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR)
- Gas Chromatography / Mass Spectroscopy (GC/MS)
- Liquid Chromatography / Mass Spectroscopy (LC/MS)
- Ion Chromatography (IC)
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (NMR)
- Gas Chromatography / Flame Ionization Detection (GC/FID)
- Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA)
- Thin Layer Chromatography (TLC)
- Scanning Electron Microscopy / Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy (SEM/EDS)
- Gel Permeation Chromatography (GPC)
- Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy (AAS)
- High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)
- Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS)
- SVOC Analysis
- Ultraviolet / Visible Spectroscopy (UV/VIS)
- Inductively Coupled Plasma (ICP)
- X-Ray Diffraction (XRD)
- Elemental Analysis
- Rotary Evaporator Concentration
- Soxhlet Extraction
- And More
- Manufacturing and R&D Firms
- Pharma Researches & Manufactures
- Product Distributors
- Patent Law Firms
- Insurance Firms
- Environmental Consultants
- Other Laboratories
Our clients use deformulation analysis for a variety of reasons, contact Avomeen today at (800) 930-5450 for a free initial consultation with one of our Ph.D. chemists who can help you solve even your most complex analytical or product development challenges.
- Call: 800-930-5450
- Email: email@example.com