Deformulation analysis of a product, also known as “chemical reverse engineering” is the process of analytically breaking down a material or product’s formulation to separate and determine the specific identity and exact quantity of both its major and minor constituent components. This process can be vital to a wide range of scenarios such as identifying hazardous components in consumer products, determining potential patent infringement, or improving competitive positioning of existing or new product(s).
While many deformulation labs advertise services to identify a formulation’s major components, few can accurately deliver a complete deformulation analysis that identifies and quantifies the ingredients in a complex formulation. Even fewer can successfully re-combine the ingredients in order to deliver the formulation’s proper production process.
Our deformulation labs have successfully reverse engineered hundreds of products and formulations applying advanced extraction and analytical techniques to separate, identify, and quantify the components.
Avomeen’s skilled chemists can provide the formula and specifications needed to manufacture the product based on your existing capabilities such as equipment and capacity. We can also provide guidance and recommendations to improve your overall manufacturing process.
Avomeen’s independent testing lab proudly serves entrepreneurs, manufacturers, distributors, lawyers, other laboratories & companies of all sizes
Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Components
Our deformulation services can be used to analyze and re-engineer a wide variety of consumer and industrial products such as:
- Personal Care and OTC Products
- Polymers, Plastics, and Films
- Inks, Paints, and Coatings
- Industrial Chemicals
- Household Products
- E-Liquid and Vaping Products
Common Reasons to Use Deformulation Services:
Competitor Product Analysis
Performing chemical deformulation can help you gain invaluable information for product improvements such as which components reduce production costs, result in superior performance, or allow the formulation to meet your specifications.
Resolve Manufacturer Issues
Fully understanding your formula and production process will allow you to avoid and limit common manufacturer issues such as increased production costs, degrading quality, or unexpected capacity issues and closures.
Patent Infringement Investigation
Reverse engineering a product can confirm if a competitor is infringing on your intellectual property or prove that your formulation is not in violation of an existing patent.
Marketing Claims Validation
Chemical deformulation equips your marketing team to promote confidence in your brand by educating consumers about superior product composition, performance, and safety.
Product Failure Analysis / Contamination Identification
A failure analysis will identify unknown ingredients or contaminants in your product which can help to quickly rectify a defect and ultimately prevent a costly recall. Our laboratory can detect and identify various constituents within a product at very low levels in order to identify trace impurities.
Consistency / Batch to Batch Variations
Deformulation can be key to ensuring consistency of product composition and performance regardless of the originating lot or production facility. A Good-vs-Bad sample analysis identifies any batch-to-batch irregularities or variations and can help determine why the material or product you received is not performing to your specifications.
Raw Material Analysis
Chemical deformulation allows you to qualify batches of raw material to industry/government regulatory standards as well as confidently evaluate a new product or raw material supplier before you enter into a long-term contract.
Regulatory Analysis, Hazardous Compounds Identification & Eco-Friendly Formulation
Discover unsafe, obsolete, or banned ingredients/substances within a formulation by reverse engineering. Once identified, functional replacements can be decided, allowing for modification of the formula. This technique can also be utilized to create eco-friendly versions of existing formulations by exchanging questionable materials in a formulation with natural counterparts.
Compare your products to industry leaders and improve your market position through reverse engineering.
Deformulation Analysis and Reformulation Projects:
Chemical deformulation services reveal the components of a product or formulation, and can even quantify these identified components.
Next, the reformulation process determines how and when these ingredients are combined, as well as the equipment, processing conditions, and raw material grades used to recreate the original product. Our deformulation and reformulation services provide our clients the opportunity to recreate or improve upon existing products, resulting in a unique and innovative formulation.
De-formulation analysis can identify and quantify:
- Major & Minor Components
- Active, Inactive & Trace Ingredients
- Matrix Resins, Polymer Resins & Antioxidants
- Binders, Fillers, Dispersants & Synergists
- Thermal & UV Stabilizers
- Activators & Inhibitors
- Flame Retardants
- Pigments, Additives & Wetting Agents
- Impact Modifiers, Reinforcing Fibers & Extenders
- Functional Groups
- Inorganic & Organic Materials
Questions We Often Receive on Our Deformulation Services:
What levels of deformulation testing projects are available?
- Full identification & quantitation of all components
- Semi-Quantitative identification of major and minor ingredients (chemical class & function)
- Identification of major components
- Quantification of specific components
- Full deformulation & reformulation (duplication/re-engineering)
- Partial deformulation & reformation (new product innovation based on existing technology)
- Identification of raw material providers & alternative ingredient recommendations
- Q1, Q2 & Q3 testing & regulatory submissions specifically for pharmaceutical products
What instruments are typically used during a deformulation analysis?
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR)
- Gas Chromatography / Mass Spectroscopy (GC/MS)
- Liquid Chromatography / Mass Spectroscopy (LC/MS)
- Ion Chromatography (IC)
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (NMR)
- Gas Chromatography / Flame Ionization Detection (GC/FID)
- Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA)
- Thin Layer Chromatography (TLC)
- Scanning Electron Microscopy / Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy (SEM/EDS)
- Gel Permeation Chromatography (GPC)
- Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy (AAS)
- High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)
- SVOC Analysis
- Ultraviolet / Visible Spectroscopy (UV/VIS)
- Inductively Coupled Plasma (ICP)
- X-Ray Diffraction (XRD)
- Rotary Evaporator Concentration
- Soxhlet Extraction
Who does Avomeen typically provide deformulation services for?
- Manufacturing and R&D Firms
- Pharmaceutical & Manufacturers
- Product Distributors
- Patent Law Firms
- Insurance Firms
- Environmental Consultants
What if the product I want to deformulate has a patent?
We can perform a patent search to ensure there are no existing patents that would prevent you from producing the product and entering the market. We have partnerships with Intellectual Property (IP) law firms to advise on compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
Work with us to make health & medicine better for everyone.
Start a quote or ask an experienced scientist today.