E-Liquid Analysis & Testing Lab
With the rise of e liquids/e cigarettes, new testing standards and analyses are being developed to ensure that the end product is safe for its customers use. For US customers this comes in the form of the FDA’s upcoming Pre-market Tobacco Application (PMTA).
Why turn to Avomeen? Our laboratory is FDA-Registered & Inspected, DEA-Licensed (Schedule I-V), GMP-Compliant, GLP-Compliant, and ISO 17025-Accredited. We are an accredited testing laboratory that can help you navigate the changing regulations facing the E Liquid Industry and keep your product on the market.
What are E Liquid/E Juice Products:
E juice commonly contain nicotine, glycerin, water, propylene glycol/glycerol, ethylene glycol/diethylene glycol, and flavoring additives. Flavorings often aim to match a variety of food and fruit products including apple, cherry, pina colada, grape, chocolate, menthol, blueberry, butterscotch, strawberry, and more.
E-cigarettes have been growing in popularity due to smoking restrictions that regulate places that allow use for traditional cigarettes put in place within certain states, as well as the ability to choose between products that contain very high nicotine levels to no-nicotine at all.
Avomeen’s laboratory can perform a variety of product testing and development services on these products including:
- Compliance – Tobacco Products Directive & Pre-market Tobacco Application (PMTA) Emissions
- Stability Study/Shelf Life Assessment – Determine products shelf life under various storage conditions
- Quality Control – Raw Material & Finished Product Testing
- Carcinogenic Flavoring Analysis (Including Banned Flavors -Diacetyl, Propinyl Acetyl, and Acetoin)
- Carbonyls & Diketones (2,3-pentanedione & butane-2,3-dione)
- Carbonyls (Formaldehyde, Acrolein & Acetaldehyde)
- Consistency of Dose/ Nicotine Content Levels (USP Assay)
- Nicotine dosing study to determine the amount of nicotine expressed per puff in the e-cigarette/e-liquid combination.
- The study will be performed using actual use conditions, as an average of 10 puffs over the length of the entire cartridge using the manufacturer’s instructions
- Metals – Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC’s) & Other Impurities Testing
- Particle Size in Vapour
- Emissions Testing
- Determine if any new chemical entities are created through the heating and vaporization process. The e-liquid will be vaporized at the highest setting of the unit expected to be used and the vapor analyzed for analytes of toxicological significance including Acetaldehyde, Acrolein, Formaldehyde, Diethylene glycol, Ethylene glycol, Diacetyl, and Pentane 2,3 dione
- Ensure that metals are not being extracted from the device, the vapor will also be tested for Al, Cr, Fe, Ni, Sn
- Safety Data Sheet (SDS) / Toxicology Testing – Verify the Safety of your Product
- VG/PG ratio
Other Services Include:
- Deformulation analysis of flavor package – Identification of flavoring agents or additives used within a product’s formulation – Determine an e-liquids recipe through chemical reverse engineering
- Deformulate the product – Determine the major and minor ingredients with quantitation. The analysis will include testing on one or more of the following state of the art instruments: FT-IR, LC/MS, SEM/EDXA, NMR, HPLC, ICP, PIXE and GC/MS, as well as a wide range of other analytical techniques and other instrumentation
- Flavoring Agent Identification
- Medicinal Product Development
- Product Replication/Reformulation
- Develop New Custom Formulation
A full report will be provided with all source data, accreditation information, and a complete description of the aerosol generating methodology. If you manufacture or distribute these products, or are an entrepreneur looking to start your own product line give us a call for a free consultation with one of our Ph.D. chemists. Our full service chemical testing laboratory can perform the e-liquid testing that you need to stay in compliance with industry and legal regulations.